Sunday, January 25, 2009

With a Song In My Heart and Apples Nearby

Bedtime at our house is always an adventure. I wish I could say that I put everyone in bed and they stay there, but they don't. I know people who have this luck and they must have better parenting skills than me because my kids do not want to stay there. Emma is completely content in her crib (granted, she has only climbed out a few times but I think I have convinced her not to do that for a while). She will sit in her bed and play, ready books and sing until she falls asleep. Emma is quite the singer and truly has a song in her heart. She sings all day every day. At school on Thursday they commented on how she sings all the time. She loves it. Tonight, she sang in bed for almost an hour and a half. And tonight's singing was not just a little humming in her bed. I was in my room, my bath to be exact, and could clearly hear every word she was saying. She's not doing it for attention or to get us up there, but just singing because she is happy. It really is precious but after about an hour of top volume, I was ready for my little superstar to go to sleep. Finally, she sang herself to sleep.

With Emma's concert going on, it is no wonder Luke does not stay in bed so well but I don't think I can blame it on Emma. Luke is quite the night owl these days. We hit bed at 8, but I may see him anywhere from 2-6 times before 9pm. You would think all the trips up the stairs would wear him out but that is not always the case. Many times, we just need to get a hug or find that random toy we haven't touched in 2 years. Tonight, he was up pretty good but came down around 9 wide awake. I heard Scott telling him to get in bed and go to sleep. Next thing I know, Luke is in bed next to me as I work on Bible Study. Within 2 minutes, he is snoring. Sometimes he just needs a little company and he is out. So, I take him upstairs to put him in bed and am a little perplexed to find 6 apples on his floor. What do you think he was doing with these apples? How did Scott not see him come down the stairs or hear him in the fridge? And HOW did he carry them all upstairs. I had to carry them down in my t-shirt. So, I take them down and am laughing showing Scott what I found when I comment on how cold it is...oh, wait a minute...our back door is wide open. A little someone has been in the fridge and out back (in 20 degree weather). Maybe he was out back hoping to pick some apples???

Oh, the way their little minds work!